Background Clearance Information
In 2014 as part of PA Act 153, the state of Pennsylvania passed a law for background check solutions to keep our youth safe. This law helps to ensure that any adults who come in contact with children, either paid employees or unpaid volunteers, complete a comprehensive, and regularly updated, child abuse and criminal background check.
There are three background checks that must be performed in order to receive a PA Act 153 Clearance:
- Criminal History Record from the PA State Police (PATCH) system.
- Child Abuse Clearance obtained through the Department of Public Welfare
- FBI Fingerprint screening (this does not include volunteers with a ten-year consistent PA residence)
All adult volunteers must now obtain additional clearances from: 1) the PA State Police, and 2) the PA Department of Human Services. Additionally, volunteers that have resided in PA continuously for the last 10 years must also complete a "Background Check Signature Form" which affirms their 10 year PA residency, and also affirms that they have not been convicted of certain crimes as outlined on the form.
Every year we are in need of coaches for every division. All coaches, head and assistants must complete a background check.
In an effort to protect the children who participate in programs sanctioned by and all related activities associated with Haverford Township. The criminal background screening is mandatory, no exceptions.
All candidates for the above-mentioned positions must sign a Release Form for Criminal History which gives URA the right to check criminal history records and verify social security numbers. This will be executed directly, via our partners at Protect Youth Sports. No other personal information will be checked or researched. This is a two-step process and each step must be completed.
*If you completed any/all of your clearances within the last five years, please email CRodgers@havtwp.org.*
Step 1. Pa State Police Criminal Background Check and Pa Child Abuse Clearance –
The link to begin your background check process is: https://opportunities.averity.com/haverfordtownrec
*Please note: This is a two-step process. Once you have completed the clearances in their entirety, you can use them for five years.
- If you are under 18, you and your parent/guardian need to fill out the Disclosure Statement found on pages 3-4. You and your parent/guardian need to sign and date
the form on page 4 and return it to Chris Rodgers via email (CRodgers@havtwp.org) or mail (9000 Parkview Dr. Haverford, Pa 19041). We cannot order your Pa
clearances without this form signed and dated.
- Follow the link above and fill out the required information.
- Fill out your information. You will be asked the purpose of your background check and you will select ‘Volunteer’.
- Once you complete all of the information, you are NOT finished.
- You will receive an email from Marsha Smegal (check your junk/spam mail if you haven’t received an email within 48 hours)
- Follow the link included in the email. You will have to ‘create individual account’.
- You create your own Keystone ID and fill out the rest of your information. Once completed, Averity will send you another email with your temporary password. Use that password to log in to your ‘individual login’.
- Click ‘Access Clearances’ and on the following page click ‘Continue’.
- Click ‘Create Clearance Application’
- Fill out all required information. When prompted to state your purpose, select the option that starts ‘Individual 14 years of age or older who is Applying…’
- On the final page, it will ask you if your organization provided you with a code. Use the code highlighted in yellow on Marsha Smegal’s email.
Step 2. FBI Criminal History Clearance or Volunteer Affidavit –
Have you been a resident in Pennsylvania during the entirety of the previous ten-year period? If yes, please complete and sign this affidavit: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/KeepKidsSafe/Resources/Documents/Disclosure%20Statement% and email a copy to Chris Rodgers (CRodgers@havtwp.org)
If you have not lived in PA the last 10 years, see the instructions below:
- To complete this clearance, you need to register online. You will find the online form by following this link: https://uenroll.identogo.com/
- Enter 1KG756 into the service code box and press ‘GO’.
- Press ‘Schedule or Manage Appointment’.
- Enter your personal information.
- Employer information:
Haverford Township Parks & Recreation
1014 Darby Rd.
Havertown, Pa 19083
- Select the document you plan to bring with you to get fingerprinted.
- Employer information:
- Select location and press ‘submit’.
o Haverford and Bryn Mawr offices take walk-ins if there are no appointment times available.
- You must bring the following items with you to your appointment:
- An authorized method of payment
- The form of identification that you chose*
*Allowed forms of identification:
- Commercial driver’s license permit
- Commercial driver’s license
- Driver’s license permit
- Driver’s license
- Enhanced Tribal Card
- Federal ID Card with a seal or logo from a Federal Agency
- Foreign Passport
- Passport Book or Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- State ID Card
- Pennsylvania Photo ID Waiver (link:
Once you receive your FBI clearance in the mail, you should make a copy and email them to CRdogers@havtwp.org or give it to Chris.